Friday, June 27, 2008

The sound of silence...










Evan and Abby started swimming lessons today...we're going to have private lessons once a week at home. I don't think you can ever be neurotic enough with a pool in your backyard, so that's why we decided to do it. Evan learned basics last year, and he's tall enough to stand in the pool now, which is great. Abby wasn't too keen on taking the lessons, but the teacher, Colleen, is a sweetheart. After watching her big brother for awhile, she went right to her. Abby was adorable, she kept looking at me to see if I was watching her. I stayed with the kids for this session, but afterwards I'll leave Colleen in the pool with each one for half and hour. Abby was very proud of herself afterwards and has officially decided that she likes swimming lessons.

Evan will also take swimming at the beach - those start Monday am. This is my favorite part of the summer - we get into a nice, relaxed groove and spend lots of days at the beach. Our village has a really cute beach right on the bay - everything is fenced in and contained. The kids love it because we don't have to hover over them every two seconds - they can go to the park, dig - try and catch killies, all that good stuff. It's so weird sometimes being back in the town where I grew up. I remember hating it here and my best friend, Vicki, and I couldn't wait to get out. But when I look back, it was a nice childhood and I'm glad we live here and the kids can grow up on the bay. Evan already loves fishing and crabbing!

My parents took the kids to Cedar Beach Marina today - my dad brought the boat over today. My mom picked the kids up at 11 am, right after swimming lessons were over. She didn't bring them home until almost 8 pm tonight. It was so quiet and calm at home today! I got so much done and it's awesome to start the weekend off without being overcome with laundry, etc. Thanks Mom and Dad for the free babysitting - one of my favorite gifts! LOL It was weird having the house to myself and then Scott came home and we were out in the yard together, just chatting with no interruptions. It was really, really nice. Of course we missed the kids, but it was nice to get the chance to have a conversation without having to stop and wipe a kid's butt.

So, my mom brought them home, all happy and tired. We chucked 'em in the tub and they were asleep about 2.5 seconds later.

Took some pictures of the garden today. I planted the purple clematis last year and it's just beautiful this year. I missed the roses - they are pooping out already, but now come the lilies and hydrangeas. The last couple of years the kids have planted pumpkins, which is so much fun. The pumpkin vines got so long last year - one grew from the side of our barn, up and over forsythia, into one of the tomato cages. It grew a huge pumpkin too! This year, the kids planted sunflower seeds with Scott and they are starting to get B I G. I meant to have the kids stand next to them when we first put them in the ground, and keep taking them, but of course, I didn't. So, I'll take them next to the plants tomorrow anyway. My herbs are doing great - I love going out and pinching off fresh basil and parsley and cilantro. Yummy! Sometimes that even motivates me to cook! ;)

No comments: